Mechanical Department started with the B.E. Programme in the year 1979. It was affiliated to Karnatak University, Dharwad till 2002 & now it is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU ), Belgaum. The first batch of Mechanical Engineering came out in 1984. Since then 28 batches have received their degrees. The department received VTU approval in 2003 for starting up of a new Research Center for catering to the growing needs of surrounding industries like foundries and hydro-pneumatic industries. The students can register here for Ph.D. and M.Sc. (Engg. by Research ) and pursue their research ambitions.
Foreseeing the growing needs of Post-Graduate studies, the department started three PG programs namely M.Tech. (CIM), M.Tech. (Machine Design) , M.Tech.(Industrial Engineering) in 2005, 2012 and 2016 respectively.
Over the decades, the department has established state-of-the art laboratories in various subjects which are utilized both by undergraduate and post-graduate students for conducting experiments.
The vision of the Department of Mechanical Engineering is to be globally recognized as a center of excellence in providing mechanical engineering education leading to well qualified engineers with techno managerial skills who are innovative, industry ready, successful in advanced studies & research and cater to the needs of the society.
The mission of the Department of Mechanical Engineering is to educate, prepare, inspire, and mentor students to excel as professionals and to grow throughout their careers in the art, science and responsibilities of engineering.
This is accomplished by:
- Providing the facilities and environment conducive to a high quality value based education, well grounding the students in the fundamental principles of engineering and preparing them for diverse careers;
- Providing impetus to industry institute relation, to imbibe social, ethical, managerial and entrepreneurial values in students;
- Engaging in academic and scholarly activities, which strengthen the Department’s regional, national, and international reputation.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- The graduates will acquire core competence in basic science and mechanical engineering fundamentals necessary to formulate, analyze, and solve engineering problems and to pursue advanced study or research.
- The graduates will engage in the activities that demonstrate desire for ongoing personal and professional growth and self-confidence to adapt to rapid and major changes.
- The graduates will maintain high professionalism and ethical standards, effective oral and written communication skills, work as part of teams on multidisciplinary projects under diverse professional environments, and relate engineering issues to the society, global economy and to emerging technologies.
Program Outcomes (POs)
|a||An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering|
|b||An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data|
|c||An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability,|
|d||An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams,|
|e||An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems,|
|f||An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility,|
|g||An ability to communicate effectively,|
|h||The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context,|
|i||A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning,|
|j||A knowledge of contemporary issues, and|
|k||An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.|
Competence to adopt technical knowledge and managerial skill in planning projects and deployment of resources
Best Practices and Teaching learning process
The Mechanical Engineering Department is in the forefront of using latest technology for teaching / learning process. Some of the best practices followed by our department are mentioned below:
- All classrooms are equipped with LCD Projectors and screens making teaching learning lot more easier and quicker.
- Majority of the faculty have their own academic homepages in which the notes, assignments, past question papers, etc. are uploaded. These can be accessed by the students on the move even on their mobiles.
- Students are taken to industrial visits which help them in understanding the engineering challenges.
- Many of the final year projects are linked to thrust areas in mechanical engineering in-line with our mission and vision statements. They are either carried out in-house or sponsored by nearby industries. Belgaum is a well-known place for foundries and hydraulic / pneumatic industries. Students are encouraged to take up projects in such industries.
- Department has tied with QUEST GLOBAL, Belgaum, for imparting training and skills development in the advanced fields of manufacturing like CAD /CAM and CAE. Regular training sessions are conducted and certificates are issued to successful participants which will help them in Placements.
- The entire department is Wi-Fi enabled making the access to information lot easier both for staff and students.
- The department has a well-established library of its own apart from Central Library. Students can borrow or refer the books of their choice apart from main library.