FACULTY HOMEPAGE DEVELOPMENT TRAINING FOR ENTIRE GIT FACULTY - SESSION 1
FACULTY HOMEPAGE DEVELOPMENT TRAINING (Session 1) was successfully conducted on 01 Jan 2012 for the GIT Faculty by Dr.M.M.Nadakatti, Professor, Dept. of Mech. Engg. . Presentation duration was between 3.15 PM to 4.15PM and was attended by all the faculty from all the departments of GIT.
The session was first among two sessions planned in this regard as mentioned below:
1) Initial presentation about faculty homepage and interaction
2) Online training session in Wi-Fi lab for few faculty from each department, who inturn will train other faculty of their dept.
Session 1: Initial presentation about faculty homepage and interaction:
was an interactive training extended online in Wi-Fi lab with live demonstration about the development of faculty homepage, catering to the needs of a Engg. College faculty containing every academic information that may be needed by himself or to his students. Practical demonstration of the homepages developed by Dr.M.M.Nadakatti and Dr.V.S. Majali were shown with explanation regarding the salient features of both homepage.
Need for Homepage:
- Every faculty of the college needs to his own homepage
- Need for information at any time from anywhere for anybody (faculty & students )
- Lot of information can be stored in the homepage, because of which repetitive works can be reduced
- Lot of printing work can be saved because of digital approach.
- We need to gear-up ourselves for technological advancements and along with traditional teaching methodology, should adopt newer tools and techniques of teaching in the present age of Information Technology.
- Lastly, we cannot shy away from learning newer technologies, as, if not us, someone else will seize the initiative and goes ahead.
Advantages:a) For Staff
- Entire academic data needed by the faculty for whatsoever purpose can be uploaded on to their individual homepages for ready access.
- All notifications for the students like assignments & journals submissions, special classes, etc., can be directly uploaded by the individual faculty for easy access to students
- All the course materials like notes, ppt presentations, videos, etc. can be uploaded for easy reference.
- Past question papers and test papers can be scanned and uploaded on the homepage for their particular subjects.
- Students may not complain regarding non-access to study material, notice, submission dates, etc.
- Lab practicals information can be uploaded on the homepage, so that students can understand the experiments effectively.
- No need for faculty to hand over their notes to Xerox center, as, the same can be uploaded on their home page.
- Staff can also upload their research publications and resume.
- Data uploaded is well protected because of access restrictions to “People within GIT”, “People with link only”, “Anyone across the globe” etc.
- Faculty homepage gets reflected even on “GOOGLE” search when a particular faculty types his / her name there, access to which is freely available ( if not restricted by him / her).
b) For Students
- Easy access to information from wherever they are, even on their mobiles!
- No need for them to visit Xerox shop every-now-and-then, as, whatever information they need is already available online. Simply they need to download it or print directly, saving lot of time.
- Past question papers are readily available to them for ready reference.
- Experiments information is available online so that journals can be well written.
- Submission dates, special class notifications etc., are available to them online from anywhere.
Training Methodology Adopted:
- Power point presentation
- Online training planned for 2nd session in the coming days, for development of home page by individual facultyin which all the staff will develop their homepages in ONE GO and provided the links to them for uploading on the git.edu website for the students to access the same.
- Interactive session with all the faculty
- Difficulties encountered were solved on the spot so that everyone could easily develop their homepages.
- Feedback was collected at the end of the session.
Simultaneusly all the facutly were able to develop their homepages in a small way. Links to homepages developed by Mechanical Dept. faculty are already available on Mech.Dept. Website with link as follows: