INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF CHEMISTRY - 2011 CELEBRATED @ GIT
International year of Chemistry 2011 was celebrated by the department of chemistry Gogte Institute of Technology, Belgaum on 8th December 2011 to create awareness about chemistry in Engineering and Technology. In memory of the Nobel Prize being awarded to Madam Marie Curie, 100 years ago, this being celebrated as “International Year of Chemistry – 2011”. Dr.T.M. Aminabhavi, CSIR Emeritus Scientist, Advisor to Reliance Industries and former Director of Centre of Excellence in Polymer Science, Karnatak University, Dharwad graced the function as Chief Guest. He stressed upon the importance of Chemistry in Engineering and related fields during his lecture. He further added that chemistry is the central science and blend of chemistry with engineering sciences makes many wonders in the field of technology. He lauded the contributions of Madam Marie Curie, Linus Pauling, Alan MacDiarmid and Richard Feynman to science and society.
Kumari Shruti and group rendered the invocation song, Prof.S.B.Kanabarkar, HOD Chemistry welcomed the gathering, Dr. R. M. Kulkarni introduced the Chief Guest, Dr.S.V.Divekar briefed about the international year of chemistry 2011. Dr.A.S.Deshpande presided over the function, Prof. P. S. Koujalagi proposed vote of thanks. The program was compered by Mr.Shishir Shekhar and Ms. Trupti Metri. More than 200 students were participated in the function.
1. Mr. P. S. Koujalagi, faculty in chemistry and research student of Dr. S. V. Divekar, Department of Chemistry has been awarded with Ph.D. degree from VTU, Belgaum on 28th February 2013.
1. 2. The Biography of Dr.Raviraj M. Kulkarni has been published in Marquis who’s who in the world, 30th Pearl Anniversary Edition, 2012 for his achievement in the field of Research.
2. 3. Mrs. J. M. Karekar of chemistry department was awarded M.Phil. degree for her dissertation “ Synthesis of Cinnolines of pharmacological interest” from Periyar University.
3. 4. Dr. Jyothi C. Abbar, Assistant Professor of Department of Chemistry, has been honored with the prestigious ‘Young Scientist Award’ for the best paper presentation in Analytical and Environmental Chemistry at the 31st Annual Conference of the Indian Council of Chemists held at Saurashtra University, Rajkot on 26th-28th December, 2012.
5. Miss. J. C. Abbar of Chemistry department was awarded Ph.D. degree for her thesis “Mechanistic Investigations of Some Biologically Important Reactions by Spectral and Analytical Methods” from Karnatak University Dharwad.
6. 6. Mr. R. S. Malladi, research student of Dr. R. M. Kulkarni, Department of Chemistry has completed Pre-Ph.D. comprehensive viva-voce examination on 16th August 2012.
7. Mr. M. S. Hanagadakar, research student of Dr. R. M. Kulkarni, Department of Chemistry has completed Pre-Ph.D. comprehensive viva-voce examination on 16th October 2011.
8. Mr. R.T. Katamble, student of Dr. S. V. Divekar, Department of Chemistry has been awarded with M.Phil. degree from Alagappa University, (Tamil Nadu) during March 2010.
9. Mr. P.K. Pitre, research student of Dr. S. V. Divekar, Department of Chemistry has completed Pre-Ph.D. comprehensive viva-voce examination on 18th April 2010.