About the department:
Architecture, as a synthesis of arts and science, requires integration of creative ideas and constructive practices. Department of Architecture was started by KLS society in 1998 with the aim of providing inspiring academic programme in an appropriate framework for learning.
The Department offers Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture (B. Arch) under Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum, approved by Council of Architecture, New Delhi.
The department has excellent Academic environment with committed faculty and excellent leadership.
Discipline & perfection are virtues nurtured in the department. The department strives to develop creativity and artistic skills among the students.
Since its inception, students graduating from this institute have excelled in the university examinations and other competitions at state and national level.
The Alumni of the department are either self employed or Working in leading Architectural firms in India and abroad.
Architecture Department has made its impact in Karnataka and National Level at various platforms like architectural forums, student meets, competitions etc.
Along with excellent education, the Department also offers consultancy services in the form of Design cell
The Department of Architecture shall standout as the Department of excellence in architectural education and space making, in training individuals for outstanding caliber, character and holistic development.
To train the students to grapple with the complex issues that are emerging in today’s society and encourage them to be designers who will find architectural solutions that respond appropriately to culture, climate and context.
Program Educational Objectives
- To introduce basic concepts of different types of architectural compositions and making student understand each of them with the help of examples in history and contemporary architecture.
- To introduce Organizing Principles of Architectural space making and understanding each of them with the help of examples in history and contemporary architecture.
- To introduce the concept of use of Ornamentation in architecture and critically review it through history and its contemporary nature.
- To demonstrate the use of various architectural materials from structural as well as aesthetic point of view.
- To introduce basic principles of different styles that has evolved throughout the history in different cultures.
- To develop an understanding of presentations which have a theoretical and research based approach.
Best Practices and Teaching learning process:
- Apart from the teaching learning methods prescribed in the syllabus, at the department many innovative methods and practices are followed to enhance teaching and learning of Architecture.
- At first semester in basic design studio many of the abstract concepts like Rhythm, Harmony, Anomaly, unity etc are taught to students with the help of model making exercise using everyday objects. They also understand about the importance of light in architecture and design through exercises like ‘breaking of the box’.
- In Art appreciation class where students are made aware of various forms and genres of Art, students are made to paint imitating the great works of master artists to appreciate and understand the painting style and expression of the artist. The same are exhibited in the art space called as ‘Aura’ in the department.
- In the design studios across all semester much emphasis is laid on case studies of actual building type related to the design problem. This leads to better understanding of spatial relations and functioning of the building spaces leading to more resolved design solutions from students.
- In Building construction studios, live site visits by the students are undertaken to de-mystify the construction detailing.
- Study tours undertaken during 3rd and 5th semester vacations to places of architectural importance in India give students an opportunity to visit great buildings and structures of history and by renowned architects of the past and contemporary times. This helps in inspiring students about the architectural heritage of our country and instilling in them aspirations to imitate and innovate in their design exercises.
- Urban Insert project of 7th semester focuses on the importance of context in shaping the form and function of built and unbuilt spaces in urban areas. This studio is conducted in innovative manner i.e. by combining planning studio which involves survey of core urban areas of a city to document and understand the unique nature of the chosen urban fabric and find out the issues and potentials of the same. This understanding leads to design of proposals which cater to the needs and potentials of the chosen urban area for study.
- Theory subjects like History of Architecture, Theory of Architecture and Contemporary Architecture etc are taught by encouraging students to make scale models of iconic building of both historical and contemporary buildings, and of great architects. This leads to students becoming aware of the overt and subtle conceptual and technological breakthroughs that those iconic works represent.
- Apart from these core subjects other creative exercises like photography, Painting, Ikebana, sculpture making are encouraged among students by regularly holding competitions, exhibitions etc.